Libyan al-Qaeda suspect reaches US - iReporterNG.Com | No #1 News Media in Nigeria

Post Top Ad

Libyan al-Qaeda suspect reaches US

Libyan al-Qaeda suspect reaches US

Share This
The Libyan al-Qaeda suspect seized in a US raid on Tripoli on 5 October has been transferred to the US to face charges in New York, prosecutors say.

Content provided by bbc.co.uk/news


The Libyan man who was seized earlier this month in a US raid in Tripoli has been transferred to the US to face charges in New York.

Officials said Abu Anas al-Liby, whose real name is Nazih Abdul-Hamed al-Ruqai, was questioned on board a navy ship while travelling to the US.

He is accused of links with al-Qaeda and involvement in the 1998 bombings of US embassies in East Africa.



Mr Liby was indicted by a New York grand jury in 2000.

The US attorney for the southern district of New York, Preet Bharara, said in a statement that Mr Liby was transferred to law enforcement custody at the weekend.

The suspect was likely to be presented before a judicial officer on Tuesday, he added.

The US Secretary of State, John Kerry, has defended the capture of Mr Liby in a raid on Libyan territory on 5 October, calling him a "legal and appropriate target".

Libya has demanded an explanation for the raid from the US.

Mr Liby's sons have claimed that Libyans were involved in his kidnap, which Tripoli denies.

The attacks on the US embassies in Kenya and Tanzania killed more than 220 people.

The suspect had been on the FBI's most wanted list for more than a decade, with a $5m (£3.1m) bounty on his head.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for every other informative web site. Where else may I get that type of information written in such an ideal manner?
    I have a project that I'm simply now running on, and I've been on the look out for such information.

    Also visit my web site free music downloads (twitter.com)

    ReplyDelete

Enter here your comment!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Post Bottom Ad